The troubles aboard the Pop began on February 13.

After traveling nearly 1,000 miles across the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico, from Honduras almost to the coast of Louisiana, the ship’s journey came to a halt when it gulped down its last gallon of fuel. , leaving it adrift about 80 miles from Grand Isle and its crew and 24 passengers stranded at sea. They would need resupply if the Pop were to make it to its intended destination, CoCo Marina in Cocodriefrom where passengers were to travel overland to a town in the parish of Assumption.

Then a huge storm rocked the gulf, nearly capsizing the ship.

Soon the U.S. Coast Guard learned of Pop’s predicament and launched a cutter to find him. But when the cutter arrived, he discovered not only a ship aground with an empty fuel tank; the passengers were aliens who did not have clearance to enter the United States, and the ship was carrying nearly 53 pounds of cocaine, according to a recently released federal indictment.

Boat owner twice bankrupt

The Department of Justice announced the charges on May 10: conspiracy to smuggle aliens into the United States against the owner of the boat, Carl Allison, 46, and seven others, and drug trafficking against the One. Two. But he didn’t immediately release the indictment itself, which now provides a richer and more detailed account of the government’s case against Allison, a two-man bankrupt labor broker. times who lives in suburban Pittsburgh.

With the Pop and what the indictment says, it’s a pier and a safe house to Utila, HondurasAllison owns Dynamic Capacity Group, an Irwin, Pennsylvania company that claimed to “recruit and train” Latin American employees and supply them to US factories. “As a veteran-owned business,” its website read on May 13, before it was cleaned of part of its contents“our goal is to show the American government, which we support and love, a true path to providence, a path that facilitates labor initiatives, tax initiatives, solves humanitarian problems and reduces crime.”

But according to the indictment, a front company for Dynamic Capacity accepts payments from aliens who are then smuggled into the United States, many of them to work at companies controlled by Allison.

Allison filed for bankruptcy against creditors in 2004, claiming $9,560 in assets and $46,722 in liabilities, according to public records. He returned to bankruptcy court in 2013, declaring $399,167 in assets and $666,266 in liabilities. Both cases were resolved within months of filing.

Dynamic Capacity Group was founded in 2018, according to public records.

Allison, her defense attorney and Dynamic Capacity did not respond to multiple requests for comment in recent days.

The tactic of ‘Dr. Diablo’

Twice a day we’ll send you the day’s headlines. Register today.

In the indictment, the grand jury said Allison and her colleagues began planning their last trip in December, when they rounded up the 24 strangers and went over the rules for the trip. Prior to leaving Honduras, according to the indictment, Dynamic Capacity’s hiring manager, Lindomar “Dr. Diablo” de la Rosa, confiscated the passengers’ cell phones and wrapped them in foil to block their GPS signals and avoid detection by law enforcement.

When the Pop ran out of fuel, the ship’s captain, Darrell “Dee” Martinez, a Honduran who had made several international voyages on Allison’s behalf and has the letters “DCG” tattooed on his wrist, hatched a plan. to transport another 600 gallons of fuel to the adrift vessel via a private charter boat, according to the indictment. He used a satellite phone to call De La Rosa, who then enlisted Alex Flores-Villeda, another Dynamic Capacity employee who lived in a rental house in Georgia owned by De La Rosa.

Villeda drove a 1999 Dodge minivan, registered to Allison, more than 500 miles from Atlanta to Cocodrie. The van, according to the indictment, was intended to be used to take passengers from the CoCo Marina ship to a safe house in Paincourtville, controlled by Lance Vroon, the ship’s captain’s brother-in-law.

But that never happened.

Intercepted at sea

On February 14, Villeda chartered a boat and purchased 600 gallons of additional fuel from CoCo Marina, using De La Rosa’s American Express card. The same day, the Coast Guard cutter Tiger Shark departed Grand Isle and located the Pop.

As the charter boat approached the stranded Pop, the Tiger Shark intercepted it. While guards were checking the charter, according to the indictment, Martinez met his crew and 24 passengers on the Pop. According to the indictment, the passengers were told to lie about why they were on the ship, and that someone would “harm their family” if they didn’t stick to it. the story.

The Coast Guard quickly discovered the passengers aboard the Pop. The Tiger Shark towed the Pop to Grand Isle on February 15, and all aboard were arrested by various federal agencies as they disembarked the vessel.

Authorities later found the cocaine while searching the Pop.

On April 22, a federal grand jury in New Orleans secretly indicted Allison, De La Rosa, 37, Martinez, 40, Flores-Villeda, 35, and Vroon, 39, along with team members. Pop Lenny Cooper, 39, Devon Cooper, 26. and Rudy Jackson Hernandez, 35. Authorities released the indictment on May 10, following Allison’s arrest in Pennsylvania and de la Rosa’s arrest in Georgia.

Spokespersons for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in New Orleans and the Coast Guard did not provide further information on the case. Sarah Loicano, spokeswoman for the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency, said she could not provide further information on the status or whereabouts of the 24 Pop passengers without their names, which are not available. have not been made public.

Purchases made through links on our site may earn us an affiliate commission