by Terje Solsvik (Reuters) Sweden has ordered further investigations into damage to two Nord Stream gas pipelines last month, the prosecutor handling the case said in a statement on Friday.
Sweden and Denmark both concluded that four leaks on Nord Stream 1 and 2 were caused by explosions, but did not say who might be responsible. World leaders called it an act of sabotage.
“I have decided with the Security Police to conduct a number of additional crime scene investigations,” said lead prosecutor Mats Ljungqvist.
Also read: Journalists film the damage caused by the Nord Stream explosion
“The armed forces have, upon request, decided to assist in the investigation,” he added.
The prosecutor said the armed forces had the resources and expertise to investigate the crime scene “as we wish”, but declined to comment further.
The Swedish Armed Forces said this week it was carrying out an independent investigation of the seabed around the leaks with minesweepers.
“I can confirm that we support the prosecutor with underwater surveys from the ship HMS Belos,” Swedish Navy spokesman Jimmie Adamsson said in a letter.
“There is no connection between the investigations that the Swedish Armed Forces themselves are carrying out in the area and the prosecutor’s request for support.”
Adamsson gave no further information.
Also Read: Germany Could Build LNG Ship Terminal at Nord Stream 2 Site
(Reporting by Terje Solsvik and Simon Johnson, editing by Stine Jacobsen and Tomasz Janowski)